7 Sources of Style Inspiration

Jun 15, 2021



Image by Photo Mix from Pixabay

Get your supplies together and let's style spy! I was inspired to write this article after reading Snoop Shopping by Georgene Shelton in Threads magazine issue #133. (only available in print, from Nov 2007)  
 
Style inspiration is everywhere. I've always been fascinated with clothing construction and always ask myself how this is made or can I make this myself? You most definitely can learn by doing a little spy shopping.  It's like window shopping, but with closer investigation.

I've enjoyed sewing for many years. Less than 2 years ago, I started my alterations side job. I am self educated and my job as a seamstress is to understand clothing construction and how garments are put together. It's also very rewarding to create a garment inspired from a designer original or a vintage dress. In my spare time, I enjoy sewing garments I love as a hobby.

Once in a while, I will browse the stores just to study and examine the clothes. I do this to help me learn alterations and inspire myself for something I may want to create. This became a portion of my education. With the help of my cell camera, I can snap images or even record a video of garment details. I may spot a beautiful dress or a cute top and imagine it in a different color or fabric.  Studying up close details this way also helped me understand construction of bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses and evening gowns. I gained more knowledge this way to help me perform alterations. 

When you want to make something special from scratch, finding that inspiration will help you make that dress of your dreams that you can't afford. Make it yourself and save the hundreds of dollars you would of spent. As you browse, make it an education!  If you are not able to take a trip to the stores, you can be inspired in your own home minus touching and examining clothes. I've gathered 7 sources of style inspiration to help you gain creativity on your next project. Read on!

   

1. The Mall 

Window shop inside the mall, check out their store front mannequins to see what they're wearing.  Take a few snapshots on your phone if you can.  You can also use the old fashioned sketchpad. I found myself walking around looking at the windows while I was in a hurry, then went home and sketched a few garments by memory. Even though I was rushing around that day, I still managed to remember what I saw in the windows and sketched it paper.  Of course, I would of preferred to stop a take a quick snapshot or two! 
  


2. Online Stores 

You can window shop online if you're not able to leave the house. Here, you'll find current, classic and all fashions in between. You can pick from the most upscale store like Bergdorf Goodman to Shein who offers discounted trendy fashions. Whichever you choose, the purpose is to find a style that works for you and inspire to create something of your very own.
  


3. Street fashion  

You may see a girl walking out of a store with an amazing dress on or someone at the grocery store checkout wearing the cutest outfit you've ever seen.  Throw them a compliment if you can, it may strike up a conversation as to where they found their piece.  I wouldn't normally snap photos of people, unless they're your friend.  With something like this, I usually go off of memory and sketch it on paper later. 


4. Movies 

I love the classics and retro fashion is my favorite. Many actresses wore unforgettable outfits. I was inspired by this dress worn by Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I made one similar here on this post.  I see her dress was made from fluid chiffon, however my version was made from cotton. I love it just the same!



Some clippings I keep in my sketch book

5. Fashion Magazines 

This is another option when you're offline.  I will share with you what I've done with all my fashion mags.  I had wayyyy to many and had to part with them.  Before they were tossed, I clipped all the pics I was always looking at and pasted them into my scrapbook.  I keep a binder of sketches, notes and magazine clippings all in one.    


6. Vintage Patterns

If you love vintage fashion, then this source will certainly be an inspiration. You can simply view and be inspired by the artwork rather than owning the pattern.  I only have a few vintage patterns of my own.  However, I picked up a book, Blueprints of Fashion by Wade Laboissonniere that is filled with artwork of women's sewing patterns from the 1950's. These pics are excerpted from this book.  In no time, you'll have your own inspired design that is so retro.


7.  Pinterest

Just hop online to Pinterest, create and account if you don't have one (it's free) and type in anything you wish. It will load pics of that topic. Say you're looking to make a strapless circle dress and need some ideas. In the pic above, I typed that subject in and you will see many styles of that silhouette pop up. This will surely help you decide on fabric type, color and shape.  Pinterest is my one of my favorite sources of inspiration. The options are endless.

🧵🧵🧵
 
You can learn so much from a little studying on your own. Make your store trips an education.  If you see something that catches your eye, go investigate.
 
When your in the stores:
Check out the details of the construction and how it was put together. If you can, take photos or a video of the garment and it's details. Doodle a quick sketch of what interests you if you can't take photos. 

When you're just browsing visuals online or through magazines:
Even though you can't study and feel the garments this way, you can still visually see how it's made on the outside. Gather your ideas and start some sketches.

Once you have all your notes, pics and knowledge gained, you're now ready to unleash your creativity! 
  













Post a Comment