DIY Scarf Modesty Panel - boho wedding dress part 3

Feb 8, 2023



Here is part 3 tutorial on Lisa's boho wedding gown.  In this part 3 post, I'll show you how to create modesty panel which is a scarf style.  Most modesty panels are a just what they say, a panel.  I decided to make this one a bit different because Lisa gave me some blush/peach mesh tulle to use and plenty of.  The tulle worked very well to create a delicate look against the lace of this gown. 


This was a simple process of creating 2 pieces, sewing pleats in them, and attaching to the front in a crisscross fashion.  Let’s continue!





With the gown on my dress form, I started by draping the tulle diagonally across the front.  My goal is to cover at least most of the cleavage. The yellow pin you see in the middle of the dress form would be where the cleavage starts. The safety pins are where we wanted the scarf panels to begin. 



I started with 2 large rectangles of tulle approximately 14 x 18 inches and folded them in half.  This would make them 14 x 9 folded in half.   This scarf panel was custom made to fit, so everyone’s measurements will be different.  You’ll know once you start measuring either yourself or someone else on how big each rectangle will be.



I pinned the edge of one piece together.


Sewed the edge together with a straight stitch.


Here is my stitched edge.


This basically becomes a large tube. I turned it right side out.


Next, I take each edge of the tube and folded random pleats.  There’s no right or wrong way to do this, you just bunch and fold until it looks like pretty pleats are formed.



I pinned the pleats together and stitched in place as shown.


Next, I placed the gown inside out on my dress form.  I pinned the first tulle piece diagonally at the top as shown.  During the fitting, I determined the scarf placement. While the gown was on, the safety pins at the top is where we wanted the scarf to start. The yellow pin in the middle of my dress form is where the cleavage begins.  It gives me a visual of where to place the scarf, so it covers yet it looks natural.



I added the second piece, crossed it over the first and pinned in place at the top.



Next, I’m ready to pin the pieces at the bottom.  I just need to find the best area, then I pin in place.



Now that the pieces are pinned in place, my last step was to hand stitch each edge to the lining of the gown.  




After hand stitching, it is all finished!  I turned the gown right side out to check out the work and this is the final result.  What's nice about this style panel is the tulle looks so light and delicate against this lace.  It almost looks like a mock scarf.  The tulle can be moved around a little for adjustments.  Plus, it does not add any bulk and safely sits in place.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and perhaps you may want to create a panel like this for yourself!  Next post will be the last part 4 series and it will be on how to make your own bridal belt - cummerbund style.  Thanks for stopping by and see you next time!


Happy Sewing! - Diana

Post a Comment