How To Downsize a Sweatshirt

Sep 28, 2022



Sometimes you find that special top you love, but it’s one or two sizes too big.  This sweatshirt was a little too big in width and wide in the arms.  My Aunt Char bought this cute sweatshirt on vacation.  She knew it was big and she also knew I could downsize it for her! ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜‰  

This is a super easy tutorial for any long sleeve knit top.  It can be a sweatshirt, sweater, or any type of knit.




Here is the sweatshirt before alteration.  It's too wide at the sides and the sleeves as you can see.



I pinned at the sides up through the sleeves.



Here's a quick diagram of my measurements and alterations.  My goal was to taper down to the original seam on each end shown.  We didn't want to take in the ribbing on each end, so I just tapered down instead.



Set the machine to overlock stitch.



I used yellow chalk to mark the stitch line.



I did a stitch test on the outside area.  I do this to check and make sure my machine settings look good.



Machine stitch directly on the chalk marks.



Cut off excess material near the stitching.



Here is a favorite pressing tool of mine - the seam roll. I place this underneath the shirt and pressed my new seams.



Pressed the new seams on the sleeves.



Pressed the new seams at the sides.



Finished! What a difference it makes! It was very boxy before and now there's more shape and skinnier sleeves, which is what she wanted.

I hope you enjoyed this easy tutorial and found it helpful. See you next time!

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’–✂๐Ÿงต

Post a Comment