How To Fix a Crooked Lining On a Dress

Oct 4, 2022

 


I altered another dress for Kaylee once again - her homecoming dress.  I'd like to give a great big thanks to her Mom, Nichole for sending me these beautiful pictures!  This dress reminds me of cotton candy because it's light pink, velvet stretch material and covered with sequins!  She loves the bling!


This dress needed a couple alterations.  Cups added, one side taken in and the lining was crooked at the hem.  For this dress, I wanted to do a super easy tutorial on how to fix a crooked lining on a dress.  This dress had ruching (gathered) detail on one side.  It's possible when the dress was made, the lining happened to be a little longer on one side.  We noticed it while she had the dress on during her fitting,  the lining was still too long on the one side while the dress was gathered.


The alteration was simple.  I took up a portion of the lining, turned it upwards and pinned with safety pins to make it straight all the way around.  Since I was only hemming a portion and I didn't have much to take up, I did a simple zig zag stitch around the new hemline and trimmed.  I didn't have to worry about the edge unraveling because it was knit fabric.  You could also use an overlock stitch as well.









Here is the front of the dress on Kaylee.  You can see the lining needed to be straightened out.  I took safety pins and pinned up in place to make the hem straight.



Here is the back of the dress.  You can see where I stopped with the pins.  It slightly tapers off.



I added safety pins to the edge where the new hem will be.



I removed the pins that were holding up the lining. I did a zig zag stitch straight on the fabric, following the line of the safety pins as I go.  I removed the pins before my needle approached them. You can also mark with chalk in place of the pins.



Here, I am coming to the taper point and I'm removing the last pin.


Here's what it looks like coming off the machine.


I trimmed the excess fabric near the edge of the zig zag stitching.


The hem of the lining is now even!


Here is Kaylee with the dress on and the lining hem is now straight all the way around.

I hope you found this easy tutorial helpful! Thanks for stopping by and we’ll see you next time! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงท


Post a Comment