How To Create A Sewing Space on a Budget

Jan 10, 2021




My sewing space - occupies the corner of a spare bedroom

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to give you a little tour inside my sewing room and how I created a small sewing space on a small budget.  I'll show you the progress of my transformation of my little space over time and how it kept evolving into what it looks like now.  I will first say this is not my dream sewing room. It's not spacious and filled with furniture, shelving, cutting tables and fabric to the ceiling. Although that's would I and every seamstress would dream of! I had to make the best of what is and I am grateful for what I have.  I utilize a small corner in my spare room to do alterations and make my creations.  Before I took over this little space, my sewing machine sat in the closet.  How sad!  I couldn't wait to get back in a steady flow of sewing and plan my little space.  I started with a sketch of the room to get an idea what I can squeeze in there.  Arranging it was challenging to say the least!

I've wanted a sewing room for the longest time.  I used to sew in the dining room and use the table for everything sewing related.  Hauling my supplies and my sewing machine in and out was becoming such a chore.  I started checking out ideas on Pinterest.  They have so many ways you can you can utilize the smallest of spaces or even a corner for your own sewing area.  There were a few things I had to spend money on because I had to start somewhere.  I kept the spending to a minimum and found my main items at Walmart, Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Big Lots.  I think the fun part was making my cylinder storage containers from an oatmeal canister, coffee and food cans.  I thought of giving my space a little color with my homemade cans wrapped in colorful fabric and ribbons.  However, I didn't keep them because I needed the space on my new desk. I did have fun making them though!

First thing I did was establish the space I was going to use.  Minimal was best.  I started a rough sketch of the space I was going to use.  The wall with the window in the middle was perfect.  I sketched the basic room with the window, figured how many pieces can I put in that space and what I need without going overboard on costs and too much clutter.  I had to spend a little money to create this space.  I can't make big things by hand, even though that would be something if I had carpentry skills. I had no choice but to shop around.


The empty room after moving in...

Here is the materials list I started with:
  • 4' Folding Table $25 (Walmart)
  • Folding Chair $12 (Walmart) - later I traded this for an office chair with wheels
  • Plastic drawers $25 (Big Lots)
  • Plastic Shelf $15 (Walmart)
  • 2 cube organizer $10 (Dollar General)
  • 6 fabric cubes $6 (Dollar Tree) added later
  • small plastic drawers (local flea market) $5
Grand total $98 - I had to start somewhere!  This total doesn't include any small items I added on later.
My sketch plan for the layout of my new space

After drawing my plan sketch here,  I could plug in any extras as I go.  Everything I have now didn't come to me at once.  Sketching out the room gave me a idea where I could place things.


My sewing space when I started out... 

This is what it all looked like when I started out, bare necessities.  Almost similar to my sketch.


A while later, I decided to make a cover for the black table

Here is the table cover I sewed out of an $8 curtain panel I thrifted. I was trying to get away from all the black I bought. So I decided to cover it instead of buying a new table. It worked for a while but later on, I found the new desk that was perfect. 


My fabric stash at the start - had to add bins and be moved in the closet - it got messy

Here is my $15 plastic shelf from Walmart.  I got it to hold my material.  This was OK, but it didn't help having heaps of fabric and refashion garments piling up this way. Over time, the piles would avalanche every time I needed something from the bottom. The last thing I need in my corner was a cluttered look.  I ended up moving the shelf in the spare closet, bought 8 fabric bins for $1 each from Dollar tree to contain the piles of fabric. I also moved my books in my book shelf in the living room.  I think it improved with the next photo.

My room now

So here is my room today.  I got rid of the black table and found this cute desk for $15 at Goodwill. I loved the light color and it has an antique quality.  I was trying to get rid of all the black I accumulated. I found an office chair for $8 at Goodwill, black of course, that's all they had! I wanted something I can swivel around and is more comfortable with padding.  I added a decorative pillow for back support. The pillow only costed $2 from the thrift store. The thread rack came from an indoor flea market for about $10, that is well worth it because all my frequently used thread and bobbins sit on the rack. I store the rest of my threads in the desk drawers.

It's OK I don't have a fancy room for sewing, I am grateful for what I have. You need ample space for large cutting tables and fabric storage. I'm content with my corner space that became my little sewing haven.

Hope this inspires you to create a space for yourself and you enjoyed reading! Thanks for stopping by!





2 comments

  1. Very good post about how to create a sewing space on a budget. Highly informative and nicely written. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cedric, I appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

      Delete