15 Ways To Inspire Your Sewing Mojo

Feb 1, 2021





Do you ever have days when you have no ambition? Not interested in diving in a sewing project?  Not to worry, I've been there so many times! 

If your sewing mojo needs a jump start, I've compiled 15 ways to spark some ideas and get your sewing drive back!

It's easier to watch YouTube videos and read blogs about sewing or crafting and not actually do the projects (yes I'm guilty). My tips below may help spark some new thoughts and creativity as well as squeeze little spurts of sewing time into your busy schedule.  Please read on!  

Me altering a wedding gown in the early evening

1. SEW IN LITTLE SPURTS
Time is precious these days and we don't have to much time to spare for sewing. If you can try to sew for 15 or maybe 30 minutes, you'd be surprised at what you can achieve a little bit every day.  It could be a project you're in the middle of or even a repair.  Even a little time spent will give you a satisfaction of accomplishment rather than trying to finish the whole project all at once.


My first embroidery project

2. DECORATE YOUR SPACE - HANG UP SOME SEWING DECOR
If you're lucky to have a dedicated sewing room or even a corner nook in your home, this is a great way to inspire yourself by spicing up your space with some cute décor.  Even if you're on a budget like me, you can diy most of it! Pinterest is an awesome way to find sewing space décor inspiration.  You can find lots of nick nacks at thrift stores. You can also DIY your own wall décor with vintage patterns or even hoop art by using colorful scrap fabric. I adore sewing pattern covers from the 50's and 60's.  I just started making my own hoop art.  Above is my first hoop art project I embroidered. You can also buy novelty fabric with a fun sewing print and frame it. 

My desk drawer organizer with an extra slider tray on top, great for tiny supplies


My color coded thread system! I use small cardboard boxes in various sizes. 


3. ORGANIZE YOUR SUPPLIES
There's something about being organized that gives you a sense of completeness.  By going through, organizing and purging your notions, tools and fabric, you'll save time and have less headaches by finding your supplies fast. You can now visualize your next project without wondering if you already bought that Wondertape or having to buy royal blue thread when you already have 5 spools. 

In my first pic, this is my desk drawer organizer I found at Goodwill for a few bucks. It has a slider tray on top that moves back and forth.  I like to put my smallest items in here. My second pic shows my color system of my thread stash.  I put my thread in small boxes by color families.  Neutrals, reds/pinks, blues/greens, etc.  My only exception was my small skinny spools you see, I just organized those by color and upright in a box because they're so small.  

I get my boxes from work that small tooling was shipped in. You could probably find small cosmetic boxes from the drug store or chain stores.  I saw in Walmart someone stocking cosmetics and saw the boxes were similar in size.  These are perfect sizes to fit like a puzzle in small drawers.  Plus they're great for thread, tools and all kinds of notions you can imagine.
   



4. WATCH A SEWING VIDEO TUTORIAL
This will really get your ideas flowing. YouTube has so many videos or you may have a favorite blogger who shares videos, check them out as well.  Watching a video alone will inspire you to follow along with their project or start up a similar one.  Here are some of my favorite YouTubers:

Annika Victoria
OVOKE
with wendy
coolirpa
Marigood Suns
made by aya
Angela Clayton
Kim Dave
Szilvia Bodi

Some of my sewing books I've collected over the years

5. FLIP THROUGH A SEWING BOOK/MAGAZINE
Flipping through those bold, colorful pages can really motivate you.  Most magazines and sewing books have quick and easy projects you can complete in no time.  

My Canva mood board - I actually included the finished pics of my wedding guest gown for fun


6. CREATE A MOOD BOARD
A mood board is a group of visuals and other objects created for the purpose of design.  It is a great tool to help designers figure out a theme for a project.  You can start with poster board or French memo board (I have a small one on my wall) and pin magazine clippings, fabric color swatches, your sketches and pics of art work. I discovered a new way of creating digital mood boards. I create most of my blog graphics from Canva.  I just found out they offer mood board templates you can build your own ideas on. You can add your pics, inspirational pics, sketches, color swatches and sticky notes with ideas. This is handy if you want to go paperless.


My inspiration scrap book - doodle section

Magazine clipping section of my scrap book


7. MAKE A PROJECT INSPIRATION SCRAP BOOK
This is much like a portable mood board. This is my big binder which I keep magazine clippings and doodles in.  I'm recently made a mini monthly planner/sewing planner/project mood book in one.  It's getting so difficult to haul separate books on the go, so I made a smaller version I can carry with me. Whenever you get that light bulb moment, make a quick sketch or doodle in your portable book!



8. DOODLE AN IDEA WHEREVER YOU ARE
Once an idea strikes, grab some paper and start drawing. Can't draw? Don't worry what it looks like,  I'm not an expert artist, but I love to draw out what comes to mind.  Try a thumbnail sketch, save it and build on it later, it could be a great idea in the making.  I am consistent about scribbling on scrap paper.  You never know when the mood strikes.  So you're not overwhelmed by tons of scrap paper, take your little doodle, cut it out and transfer it to your mood board or scrap book with some tape or glue stick.  This way you don't have to recreate your doodle again.





9. SEW AN EASY PROJECT
Whether it's a pin cushion or simple pillow case or seat cover, projects like these are easy and simple to get back into sewing. In this easy tutorial of mine, I show how to make a cute seating area by covering a plastic tote. Put some throw pillows on for a cute and cozy look!





10. BROWSE THE FABRIC STORE
If you got a little spare time or have plan in mind, take a look around your local craft/fabric store. They have a vast selection of fabric and many sewing patterns to choose from.  Sometimes a color or pattern of fabric can spark an idea. 





11. CHECK OUT SEWING BLOGS
It's so interesting to see what other bloggers are up to.  Here's a list of some favorites!

Cotton + Curls

Image courtesy of : Northeast Ohio Sewing Club at Pins & Needles (Middleburg Heights, Ohio)

12. MEET A SEWING FRIEND OR FRIENDS!
There's a site called meetup.com and I found you can also start your own group through the site.  You can try joining Facebook groups and local ones that are in your region. In my region, there's a local Facebook group called Northeast Ohio Sewing Club. They host frequent "sew socials" and it's located in Pins & Needles in Middleburg Heights, Ohio.  They may hold meet ups and events you can attend and meet new sewing friends. However, due to COVID, you may want to check with any group or club for current gathering rules.  Some are now holding small gatherings or only meet online.  This does not stop meeting new friends with like minds! 




13. JOIN A LOCAL SEWING GROUP 
Meetup.comAmerican Sewing Guild and local Facebook groups are great places to start.
Here is a very informative article from House of Pinheiro on starting a local craft club if you cannot find one in your area. I only was able to locate one in my area. They are few and far between. It may be best to start your own!  On the up side, I noticed the interest of sewing is increasing due to the COVID situation and many people are stuck at home.  As mentioned before, always check clubs regarding COVID rules on the number of people gathering.





14. TAKE A SEWING CLASS
This can be a great opportunity to spark new ideas.  Joann Fabric hosts Creativebug online classes. Here's the link to check out Creativebug! 





15. START YOUR OWN SEWING BLOG
Blogging about sewing alone can ignite your sewing mojo. Starting your own blog is like the beginning of your sewing journey, it's almost like keeping a journal of your projects.  You can start small by posting small projects you've done. Make sure to share those projects to social media platforms so you have a larger audience.  It is possible to meet others who enjoy the same thing you do.  When I created my own blog, it really does keep my interest going.  Somehow I feel committed to write more, which means I'm likely to sew more often.

I'd love to hear if you discovered any new ways to get back your sewing mojo!  Hope you enjoyed reading and happy sewing!


Post a Comment