How To Add a Zipper To a Tote Bag

Sep 8, 2022



Many totes don't come with zippers.  They're usually made this way so you can quickly throw in items before heading to work, shopping or the beach.  It's simply a pretty fabric bag.
   

Sometimes you need a little more security to keep peering eyes out your bag and zipped up from the world.  Open totes and purses are possible candidates for loss or theft.  This is a super easy tutorial on how to install a zipper inside a tote bag!  


I had in my stash an 18" zipper, however it was a separating zipper.  I'll show you in the end how to create an easy zipper stop.  I started by pinching the lining by just enough where I can start pinning the zipper on. I didn't find it necessary to take the lining apart.


I continued to pin the one edge until I came to the end.



While the pins were still in place, I basted the zipper to the lining with contrasting white thread.


I basted until I reached the end of the zipper tape.


I followed the same steps for the other side of the zipper.



I wanted to show you here where the edges of the zipper stop.  You need to keep the ends of the tape loose so you can tuck them in underneath.


Basting continues...



I placed a safety pin to mark where my machine stitching will stop.  It's just a little something I like to do.  I like to use pins for marking spaces.


I removed all the pins, inserted my zipper foot on my machine and started stitching one side.


I continued to stitch until I reached the end.


After machine stitching, I ripped out my basting stitches carefully.


Here, I'll show you how to make an easy zipper stop because I used a separating zipper.  Take the end of the zipper and fasten it.


Zip it up just a little.


Hand stitch matching thread all around the zipper teeth as shown.  I stitched enough so it forms a band of thread. 


I tested the zipper to the new stopper to make sure it doesn't go past.  It works!



Tuck in the ends of the zipper tape underneath at the end.



I did the same exact procedure to the other end.  I did this to stabilize the zipper. Helps to keep it in place when you're opening and closing the bag.


Tuck in the ends of the zipper tape on this side as well.


All done!  Here it is open...


Here is the tote zipped up!  Now it's completely secure and contents are out of public view. 

If you only have a separating zipper,  you can still use it for tote bags.  All you have to do is make the zipper stop with thread,  it's very simple to do.  I hope you found this tutorial helpful!  Thanks for stopping by!

๐Ÿงต๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿงท

Post a Comment