How To Hem a Stretch Jersey Gown

Jun 15, 2022


I was given this black stretch jersey gown that needed hemmed only a little.  The jersey was the thick type that had a little bit of stretch.  I found this original hem to be very different than the ones I’ve seen.  It was a very skinny hem with a serged raw edge which was pressed up. Since I don’t have a serger, my regular sewing machine can still simulate an overlock stitch. I wanted to duplicate the original hem, so my plan was to mark the new hem, overlock stitch slightly below the new hem line,  and sew a straight stitch for the new hem. 


I know with jersey, you normally don’t sew straight stitches,  but with this fabric I found it still had a little give after sewing a straight stitch.  I tested a scrap piece first.  With jersey, you normally sew a zig zag or a straight stretch stitch,  somehow the other way worked for this material!  I think because it was so thick, it worked.  On with the tutorial!


Here is the gown before pinning up.  We just needed a little length removed. 



All pinned up.



I replaced the safety pins with straight pins and marked the new hem length with chalk.  These white chalk marks will be the new hem.




I sewed an overlock stitch slightly below the new hemline.  If you can see the little chalk mark and my overlock stitching,  it's a short distance.


I don't cut anything yet.  My next step is to fold over the excess underneath. I pin it to the new hem length.


Here is the underside of it. I'm going to do my straight stitch close to the edge - just like the original which you can still see towards the top.  It's a very skinny hem.


I sew a straight stitch right side up, close to the edge.


I trimmed the excess fabric close to the overlock stitch and pressed.


Now it was time to hem the lining.  I placed the gown on my dress form to mark up.  The lining is always a little shorter than the outside fabric.


I used my twin needle to hem the lining.  This stitch provides the stretch it needs.  This lining is more stretchy than the outside fabric.



I trimmed the excess lining near the stitching and pressed.



Now it was time to reattach the lining to the fabric at the vent in front.  I just reattached it with a straight stitch here.  I did this for both sides of the vent (slit at the leg).



On both sides underneath,  I re-created the thread chain that holds the lining and fabric in place.  The thread chains help keep the skirt from shifting.

Finished!  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and thanks for stopping by! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงท๐Ÿ‘—

Post a Comment