How To Shorten Straps on a Summer Dress

Jun 14, 2022

 



This is a very easy tutorial on how to shorten straps on a summer dress.  The straps on almost all dresses are always made too long and need shortened most of the time.  We had to shorten these straps by 2-1/2 inches total.  I noticed a lot of casual dresses have bias trim that must be removed to make an alteration.  However, this one was a simple procedure.



Here are the straps in their original state.  They're a few inches too long.


I pinched up enough so she was comfortable with the raised strap. That measurement is 1.25 inch (x 2 because it's folded).


I started removing any stitching around the strap.  I decided to do this at the back of the dress.


Strap is now removed from the body.



Here is that measurement of  1-1/4" which will be double because the strap is folded.


I'm going to shorten this by 2-1/2" from the edge where it was sewn. I marked the top with my white chalk.


I pinned the strap back on.  I didn't cut it at this point yet.  


I sewed one row of stitches only to attach the strap.  I stitched on the right side of the dress so I can line up where the original stitching was.


Once I attached both straps, I double checked with my measuring tape to make sure they were both even in length.


Now it was time to cut the excess off the strap.  I left enough material near my stitching so I can flip over the bias trim and stitch it back on.


Flipped over bias trim and pinned in place.


I stitched the bias trim together with the strap.  I did 2 rows following the original stitching.  I stitched on the inside of the dress.  I made sure to sew a few stitches beyond the strap to secure it.


Finished! 

I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial! Thanks for stopping by! ๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงท๐Ÿ‘—๐Ÿ˜Š

Post a Comment