Elizabeth's Blue Formal Gown + Tutorial

May 10, 2022


I altered this beautiful blue sparkle gown for my cousin Nicole's daughter Elizabeth. She's at the right in the first pic.

She wore it to the Breenies – theater awards at St. Ignatius which she hosted. Great pictures!
I hemmed the gown using my twin needle and cut off the excess fabric. The spaghetti straps needed to be shortened by half an inch. I did that from inside of the bodice and stitched it back up by hand.










The process begins! Here's a before photo of all the extra length.


Used a razor to separate the lining from the fabric near the slit.


Used my twin needle stitch.


Cut off excess near the stitching.



To hem the lining, I placed the gown on my dress form. I measured from the bottom of the fabric how much I'd like to hem the lining. I placed a pin through, then....

I flipped it over to mark the lining with chalk at the pin. The pin and chalk method if very effective!


Zig zag stitch lining and trimmed excess.


Time to gain access to the inside of the straps. I opened up an area where I can pull the straps through in order to shorten.


We needed to shorten by 1/2" inch. I marked with a pencil 1/2" out from the base.


I pulled the strap in from the inside. The pencil mark helps as a guide so you don't go too far or the other way. I stitched the strap down.


Closed up the opening by hand. Done!






















Post a Comment